Sunday 24 February 2013

Marvelous - A poem in memory of my father

This is a reminder if you needed any,
Why our Dad was loved by so many.

We think of the Kinks and Doris Day,
And keeping us happy come what may.

He may have been thrifty, hoarding his treasures.
But his love he gave out in generous measures.

His walks on the head collecting golf balls,
And I can still hear his Trixie calls.

Down on the beach without a weather protector,
Scouring the sand with his metal detector.

Chatting to all his friends remembering past capers,
Or out on his bike delivering his papers.

If these thoughts don't do, use others if you'd rather.
But when you think of him, remember a loving friend, husband and father.

7 comments:

  1. I wrote it for the funeral. He was a lovely man x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though my moms been gone a couple years... She is still my first thought to talk to when something good/bad/funny happens. I still reach for that phone. The loss of a parent is so difficult... My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...five years now but sometimes it just feels raw still. my thoughts with you too x

      Delete
    2. Thank you...five years now but sometimes it just feels raw still. my thoughts with you too x

      Delete
  3. I loved this, the emotions are so vivid, brings back old memories. Hope it gets easier for you x

    ReplyDelete